There are many advantages to breastfeeding that are widely known that include health benefits and also saving money. Some of them include:
- Giving the baby your immune system
- Decreases maternal bleeding by clamping down the uterus
- Decreases infections and constipation in babies
- Convenient (no warming up or mixing bottles)
- Decreases the risk of breast cancer in the mom
Even breastfeeding for a month can have these benefits.
There are some advantages to using formula, though not as many as with breastfeeding.
- Mom does not have to do all of the feedings allowing for more rest
- Can help the baby to sleep through the night sooner
- You are able to leave the baby for longer periods of time
- Not as much work for the mom, especially if she is working outside of the home
The cons of each of these are the opposite of the pros above. It is also possible to do a mix. Remember that breastfeeding runs on a supply and demand feedback loop, so the more you breastfeed the more milk you have.
What has been your experience? How did you decide?