Thursday, July 14, 2016

Why Should I Listen?

I feel like this is a very popular question and problem in our individualistic society. I've done the research. I know what I want. My doctor has told me what's going to happen. Why does it matter what others have to say about childbirth?

It matters because we are to learn from each other. It's also the flip side of being a Titus 2 woman. God has instructed us to teach those coming up about what God has taught us in our lives. But how can we teach if there is no one to learn? We are to be learners as well as teachers and we will never know everything, which means we will always need to be learning from those who have gone before.

A huge benefit to listening to others experiences and stories is that we are reminded we are not alone. Other women have done this before us and that is very encouraging.

Another benefit is hearing the diversity of birth. It's easy to read the research and learn how it is supposed to be. But I will tell you a secret. The majority of births are not textbook! So when we listen to other women's stories we are learning that other things can happen that we were not expecting. This should not be done in such a way to scare, but to share what can occur in the midst of pregnancy and labor. That is the purpose.

The biggest reason we should listen is because one day we will want someone to listen to us as we share our story. Jesus tells us to love our neighbor as ourselves. This goes for listening and sharing stories as it does for everything else in life. So when you have someone wanting to share their experience with you, take time to listen and glean from their experience.

Do you have a hard time listening? Why do you think you should listen?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting. Please know I delete comments at my own discretion that deter from the topic of this blog or are not creating a positive environment for conversations.
I also request that you not post anonymously to aid in community conversation. Thank you!