Thursday, May 28, 2015

Evening Primrose Oil

I turned 35 weeks this week, which always is exciting for me because it means I'm really close to meeting my new baby and I can start evening primrose oil (EPO). EPO comes from a plant in North America and Europe and is a natural source of prostaglandins. Prostaglandins are what help the cervix ripen to be ready for labor. When I worked in Atlanta, I worked with many women from other countries and learned about this to help prepare your body for labor. I have taken it with everyone of my pregnancies and have started it this week for preparation. I have been very blessed to be able to dilate quickly with most of my labors, but cannot say for sure it is because of EPO or because it's how God designed my body, since I have taken it each time. I highly recommend taking it in preparation, but as with everything else, it may not help everyone.

How do you use EPO?

Starting at 35 weeks you can take two 500 mg capsules per day.
At 36-37 weeks, you can insert 1000 mg vaginally or take 500 mg and insert 500 mg vaginally. I was taught the second way, but the first is also used. You want to insert the capsule(s) at bed time so that it will dissolve by your cervix, not fall out and get the most benefit out of it.
No matter what your plans are for delivery, this can be very beneficial.

Where can you buy EPO?

You can buy it at any natural store, such as Whole Foods or Rainbow Blossom (or whatever is local to your area). This week I found some at Target for the first time, though the dosage is 1000 mg instead of 500 mg. Make sure you pay attention to the dosage you are buying, so that you take the proper amount.

Have you used EPO? Share your experience below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting. Please know I delete comments at my own discretion that deter from the topic of this blog or are not creating a positive environment for conversations.
I also request that you not post anonymously to aid in community conversation. Thank you!