Saturday, April 5, 2014

Tyler's Birth


The Saturday Tyler was born, I woke up at about 1 am to my first ‘strong’ contraction.  I thought, “Hm.  That was a contraction,” And went back to sleep.  30 minutes later, I woke up again – same thing.  So this time, I got up and messed around on my computer for a little bit.  I continued to have some irregular contractions, but eventually went back to bed and my hubby and I slept until about 9 am.  Then, we got up, had breakfast and for “some reason,” we decided to clean the ENTIRE house.  I mean, mop the floors, vacuum, clean the bathrooms.  Everything!  Around 11 or noon, I was still having contractions, but nothing that was difficult for me to manage.  I decided to get in the shower.  I was also starting to notice some light spotting, but I really didn’t think too much about it. (Silly pregnant lady – my nurse-self never did kick in!!)  Meanwhile, my husband decided to get some exercise in!  After my shower, I started timing my contractions and laboring on the birth ball.  My husband got a call from an old college friend, and I encouraged him to take the call.  I still wasn’t completely convinced I was actually laboring.  I was even texting Lori (my friend and coworker, who Emmie also worked with).  I even have the dialogue saved on my computer (I typed it up after the fact because I thought it was so funny!!).  I told Lori I was having contractions every 3-12 minutes (I was waiting for them to get more regular!!) and that I was having some bloody show.  


Then, literally, about 2 minutes later, my water broke at 1:15.  I immediately texted Lori again, “WATER BROKE!”  I ran to the bathroom, and a HUGE gush of water went in the toilet!  I don’t know HOW I made it to the bathroom without a drop of water on the floor.  Feeling my water break was so cool to me.  I felt it in the front of my belly.  It felt like curtains being pulled open from the middle.  It didn’t hurt at all.  I just felt a little pop, then the separation.  Anyway, I yelled at my husband that my water broke, get off the phone and get a shower!!  He swears it only took him 9 minutes to shower and grab the remainder of our things for the hospital bag, but to me, it felt like forever!  I called the answering service for them to page my midwife.  They asked me how far apart my contractions were.  I think they were probably every 1-2 minutes then, but I said, “I DON’T KNOW!  MY WATER BROKE!!”  She insisted she needed a number to give to the midwife, so I just blurted out, “5 minutes!”  I  think I texted my mom and sister that we were headed to the hospital.  I called the hospital on my way to let them know I was coming and that Lori was going to be my nurse.  For some reason, I ended up calling the hospital 3 or 4 times!  Ms. Debbie finally started answering with, “Yes, baby?” because she recognized my phone number!!  The last time I called, I said, “I’m so sorry!  I didn't mean to call!  I just accidentally hit the button!”  but Ms. Debbie asked if I needed a wheelchair when I got there and I puffed out, “yes!!”  My contractions were coming fast and furious in the car.  I’d take a big breath in and blow it out, and as my contraction was on the downward slope, I’d breathe out, “It’s ok… It’s ok… It’s ok…”  Other than that, I really don’t remember the ride at all.  I do remember, as we were heading out the door to the car, my husband asked if we should eat lunch (HA!  Are you kidding me?!), and asking me which route I wanted him to take on the way there (I didn’t care!).  

We got to the hospital around 2 or 2:30.  I remember Ms. Debbie and one other person (a tech, but I can’t remember who!) sitting outside, waiting for me with a wheelchair.  I put my towel in the chair and they whisked me off to the labor room.  Darla met me in the room, helped me get undressed and into the hospital gown.  I don’t remember getting in the bed.  The next person I remember was Wendy coming in to place my IV, and I remember smiling and saying, “Hi Wendy!”  All these silly little details always make me laugh, especially because I just really don’t remember very much – just little bits here and there.  I was having a hard time getting comfortable in the bed.  I didn’t know if I wanted to sit up or lay down.  I couldn’t think straight.  I don’t remember feeling pain.  I just remember feeling very intense.  That was the only word I could use to describe it.  Intense.  Just intense. Eventually, I felt like I was starting to get some coherence back, and I noticed the monitor was showing my contractions every 1-2 minutes (or maybe someone showed me after I got my epidural?!).  I couldn’t believe it!  My awesome midwife, Amanda, came in to check me.  I was 4 cm, and SO excited to hear that I was not 1 or 2 cm!!  Next thing I knew, they were getting me positioned for my epidural – I never even asked for it, but I was planning to get one.  My contractions slowed down, but still continued pretty consistently at about 3-4 minutes apart.  At 5:30, Amanda came in to check me again.  I had been feeling some discomfort down in my hip, and Wendy had put in a catheter to drain my bladder.  In retrospect, I wondered if she felt some resistance (if Tyler had been very low), or if it was just signs on the fetal monitor that prompted Amanda to come back when she did.  At any rate, I was completely dilated and Tyler was quite low.  Six pushes later, he was out at 5:58 pm, 8 pounds 2 ounces.  I am that lady that everybody loves to hate.  I loved my pregnancy – I loved being pregnant, I loved wearing my maternity clothes!  And I LOVED my labor and my delivery.

~Shared by Lauren K

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting. Please know I delete comments at my own discretion that deter from the topic of this blog or are not creating a positive environment for conversations.
I also request that you not post anonymously to aid in community conversation. Thank you!