Thursday, April 10, 2014

Braxton Hicks Contractions

Today I want to talk a little about Braxton Hicks Contractions, also known as practice contractions. Being at the end of my pregnancy, I have contractions on the brain. I'm always evaluating them and wondering if this could be the start of labor.

Braxton Hicks are very common and, as the common name implies, helps your uterus practice for labor. Generally speaking Braxton Hicks are contractions that feel like a mild cramp. They are not regular and they do not get stronger over time. These can happen at anytime. Changing positions, especially sitting down if you have been on your feet for awhile, will generally help them subside. Also drinking water, emptying your bladder and relaxing will generally cause them to go away.

These are all general as you can have contractions that are strong and do not go away and it still not be real labor. In fact you can have contractions that feel like the beginning of labor for hours and it not be labor. This is better called prodromal labor, but still falls into the Braxton Hicks department as they are not real labor.

What is your experience with Braxton Hicks Contractions?

2 comments:

  1. Braxton Hicks can be so tricky because with my last pregnancy I had contractions frequently that felt real, but were really only Braxton Hicks. Same this time. The biggest difference was that they did not stay. Other than that they have felt the same as real ones to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With baby #5 I had regular ones during church services for about 5 weeks (he was a week and a half late). They would go away as I changed from sitting in the pew to walking and chatting. In the end, I knew the real ones because they remained regular while restine, standing, and sitting. When they started to take my breath away I called my husband. I had baby an hour later!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. Please know I delete comments at my own discretion that deter from the topic of this blog or are not creating a positive environment for conversations.
I also request that you not post anonymously to aid in community conversation. Thank you!