Thursday, February 6, 2014

Is Having a Home Birth a Safe Option?

I touched on this a little in the post discussing where to have your baby, but I wanted to zero in on it a little as it is a much debated subject. Having been trained as a nurse in the medical realm, I use to think that having a home birth was a foolish option. However, in the past couple years as I have educated myself on home birth and met those who have had home births it is evident that having a home birth is as safe, in most cases, as giving birth in a hospital or birth center.

Not that long ago most women had their children at home and in many countries, women still have babies at home. A recent study, published recently in the Journal of Midwifery and Women's Health, showed that the outcomes are very good with minimal complication in the data they were able to collect between 2004 and 2009. To read the full research article click here. To read a review of the research click here.

If you would like to watch a document in home birth I would suggest checking out "The Business of Being Born." This really helped me in understanding those who took care of those laboring and delivering at home. These midwives are well trained in holistic care and are trained to know when extra help may be needed. They are very knowledgeable and desire to see women have good outcomes at home.

So the simple answer is it is as safe to have a baby at home as anywhere else. This is something that you must pray over and seek God's wisdom in where He is guiding you to have the baby.

What are your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting. Please know I delete comments at my own discretion that deter from the topic of this blog or are not creating a positive environment for conversations.
I also request that you not post anonymously to aid in community conversation. Thank you!