Thursday, June 4, 2015

Prepare Together

Tuesday I talked about my Mama's Day Out preparation for birth. I ended the day talking to my husband, Jim, about my day and things that had come to mind that I needed to share and work through with him. This is the first time I have ever done this, and I am so thankful God afforded us the opportunity to do this. I will be honest, it wasn't pretty. I'm a bit of an emotional mess right now. But, it helped to let Jim know where I was struggling and to attempt to give him some idea of how to best help me in the little time we have left.

It was also helpful to know where he is and what he is struggling with. Childbirth is stressful for men as well in a different way. As the leaders of their homes there is a lot on their shoulders and they need to prepare with God as well. In Angie Tolpin's Redeeming Childbirth, she gives some great insight into how to prepare together. This is not a one woman show. There is also a section from her husband Isaac to the expecting fathers that is an encouragement to them in leading well during this time.

Today we are blessed that our husbands can be present with us in our births, but that means we need to be on the same page. Believe me when I say if you are not on the same page it is far more difficult than you could ever imagine.

How can you prepare together?

Each of you pray and strengthen your relationship with God daily
Pray together regularly
Talk with each other regularly- make sure you make space to discuss fears and frustrations as well as desires for birth and what your desire for your family to be like post baby is
Be open and honest
Practice relaxing together- This helps in preparing for birth and teaches you what you need him to do to help you relax during labor

In preparing together and going through birth together, it will strengthen your marriage as you learn to love and serve each other to welcome new life.

How do you prepare with your husband?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting. Please know I delete comments at my own discretion that deter from the topic of this blog or are not creating a positive environment for conversations.
I also request that you not post anonymously to aid in community conversation. Thank you!