Thursday, July 7, 2016

Why Talk About Childbirth?

When first starting this blog two years ago, I covered why we have childbirth conversations fairly in depth. Today I want to go a little farther in why I believe this is so important from a Christian perspective.

I believe it is our Titus 2 responsibility to talk about childbirth.

"Older women likewise are to be reverent in their behavior, not malicious gossips or enslaved to much wine, teaching what is good, so that they may encourage the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, be sensible, pure, workers at home, kind, being subject to their own husbands so that the word of God will not be dishonored." Titus 2:3-5

You may read this and think, "What does that have to do with childbearing? This is talking about character and behavior." I would argue that character and behavior fall into childbearing as well. We are to love God and our family in everything we do, and childbearing is part of loving God and our family. Therefore, those who have gone before in childbearing are to educate those coming up in it. The same is true of marriage, parenting, cooking, cleaning, working outside the home, etc. I do not believe Paul meant for this list to be exhaustive in what we are to teach those who are "younger".

If you have experienced childbearing, then teach those who have not about it. Share what you experienced. Tell others what God did in your birth. Let others know how you prepared. There is so much to share, and childbirth is such a gift that we need to share with all of the women we know.

I know this can be a touchy subject for many people. Everyone has an opinion, and we will talk more about that next week. But for now I want to simply encourage you to talk about birth and share your experience with the women in your life.

Who do you need to share with?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting. Please know I delete comments at my own discretion that deter from the topic of this blog or are not creating a positive environment for conversations.
I also request that you not post anonymously to aid in community conversation. Thank you!